Skip to main content

What just happened?


When I was in college, the Astros played the Mets in one of the most memorable games in postseason history to that point, an epic 7-6 Mets victory in 16 innings at the Astrodome, which clinched the series for New York.

I worked in the college's cafeteria that evening. A portable radio that stood on a shelf behind the salad bar counter aired the game. And the workers among us who were fans, mostly college kids but also some full-time "grown-ups," would regularly make trips to the radio to catch up on an increasingly wild game.

They would then come back to their stations and gleefully report the news: the Mets just scored three runs in the ninth and they're going to extra innings! ... Backman singled in the 14th, the Mets lead! ... Bass hit a home run off Orosco, it's tied again! ... It's the 16th inning! ... Lopez threw a wild pitch! Mets lead by three! ... No, Hatcher just singled, Astros down two! Davis just singled, Astros down one! ... Orosco struck out Bass, Mets win!

It was wild and added plenty of excitement to my four-hour work shift. Customers would ask what the score was and people who I didn't think cared anything for baseball (my girlfriend at the time worked the salad bar and she showed an interest in the game I didn't know she had) were clamoring to get into this exclusive club called baseball. This was thrilling.

Travel 30 years into the future and Game 6 of that series has stood the test of time. However, there have been plenty of games similar to that one, tumultuous back-and-forth affairs with many twists and turns since then. There seems to have been even more in the last 5-to-10 years. And now we're in the middle of the 2017 World Series and someone please tell me what happened in Game 5.

As wild as the 1986 game was, it kind of made sense. Starters pitched for awhile (Bob Knepper went 8-plus innings) and if they couldn't (Bob Ojeda went five), the relievers lasted for awhile (Rick Aguilera pitched three, Roger McDowell pitched five).

Also, that '86 game started in the afternoon. I don't remember what time, maybe around 1or 2 because by the time I started my shift at 4, the game was in the later innings. And, even though it lasted 16 innings, it was over by the time my shift ended around 8.

Last night's game made almost no sense. Starters yanked before the fifth inning ended. Constant pitcher changes. Batters, especially on the Houston side, confident every time that they walked to the plate that they could hit the ball to the moon. The game ended at 1:37 in the morning and lasted just one extra inning! I woke up today and went about my business for a bit and suddenly remembered Justin Turner being tagged out at third base after a bunt play. I thought I had dreamed it. But, no, that was real. In a game in which the entire planet knew no lead was safe, the Dodgers were bunting for a run ... like it was 1986 again!

Last night I remembered sitting in the office over the summer waiting repeatedly for games between the Astros and the Rangers to end. The games seemed to take longer than any other and end up 12-10 or 15-11. After experiencing Minute Maid Park for an extended period for the first time, I realized why I waited so long.

I've followed baseball for four decades. I don't know if I could explain to an outsider what happened in that game, what it meant beyond "Astros take 3-2 series lead." It barely seems like baseball to me. Batters shouldn't be able to hit home runs seemingly every time they want. Pitchers shouldn't look shell-shocked in every game. If the balls actually are slicker and preventing pitchers from doing their jobs, then shame on MLB.

This could be just someone struggling to deal with the fact that baseball isn't like it was back in the day. Maybe there were college students jumping for joy in the cafeteria during last night's game (although that is some kind of after-hours cafeteria). But there's no doubt that the excitement level is dialed up so high that it's difficult to grasp what's happening.

I don't want to put a damper on an exciting series involving my Dodgers, but ... did that look in the slightest bit normal to you?

Anyway, I promised at the start of this Series that I wouldn't get too wrapped up in it and that's now a complete lie. The least I can do is show some cards.

These are from Henry from the Cardboard Greats blog. Most of them are current Dodgers, trying to move on.


There's Ross Stripling, one of the few Dodger pitchers who didn't get into the game last night.



There's Yasiel Puig, who hit a very Minute Maid Park-like home run to key yet another Dodgers comeback.



There's Clayton Kershaw, who turned into a different pitcher between the third and fourth innings. I don't know if I've ever seen anything quite like it. Do you think Kershaw wishes he could have pitched in the days of Marichal when the ball/players/parks weren't juiced?


A short-printed Sandy Koufax! Yup Kershaw is the best Dodgers pitcher since Koufax, but Koufax never had to pitch in the era of Launch Angle.



Numbered cards of two players who are either jealous they're not playing in this Series or maybe very happy that they aren't.



And if a guy who grew up on '70s and '80s baseball is trying to figure out what's going on, imagine someone who grew up collecting cards in the mid-1950s!

During the bottom of the fifth inning of last night's game, my daughter, who has shed a lifetime of baseball indifference to follow this postseason avidly, got up from her seat after Jose Altuve's three-run home run had tied a game that had just been untied by Cody Bellinger's three-home run, walked past the TV to go upstairs and declared "this game is stupid."

I nodded in agreement. What could I say? It was.

Today at work, a co-worker in his late 30s who is a sports fan, but is more interested in football and basketball, asked me:

"Is this World Series bullshit?"

I thought for a moment and then answered, "Yes, yes it is bullshit."

It's exciting, nerve-wracking and exhilarating as hell. But through it all there seems to be something a bit off.

I'm calling stupid. I'm calling bullshit. And I know I'm not the only one.

Comments

steelehere said…
Ross Stripling pitched last night to a couple batters in the 8th. For the life of me, I can't figure out why the Dodgers put Brandon McCarthy on the roster. Hyun-Jin Ryu, Brock Stewart, Walker Buehler or possible even Pedro Baez would have made more sense and ended up helping give Jansen and Morrow a rest.

I agree with your observation about last night's game. Regardless of who ended up winning, I made my mind up that baseball needs to go to robo-umps. Bill Miller's strike zone was horrible and extremely inconsistent.
night owl said…
Ah, that explains it. I actually turned off the TV for a couple of batters in the 8th.
Doe M.G. said…
You are not the only one. Bottom of the 6th, I shut the tv off and went to bed. Fubar fits, but stupid works too.
Unknown said…
That was a crazy game. Best game of the series so far IMHO. I'm actually not sure how I feel about it though. I had to turn it off when it was 7-7 heading into the 7th. It was gettin' late & I had to get up in the morning. The only series game I've watched to the end this year is game 1, the 2:28 game. Al the others, I was just so beat exhausted that I had to turn it off after 11p or 11:30p. So I've been missing all those late inning excitements that everybody's going on about. To me, this series has felt like a lot of waiting around with little action. Lots of bad umpiring too. A lot of the balls & strikes aren't called right. In that last game we're talking about, I saw the Dodgers get called out on a couple of called strikes that were clearly way off the plate (not just to my eyes but to MLB Gameday's chart/plot). I didn't quite notice that with the Astros but it might've happened. It was just more obvious with the Dodger batters to me. That kind of thing, plus the pitchers not being able to find their sliders due to the different ball being used, & the slooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww long games that I can't see the end of, really kill a lot of the fun. If they're going to have long games like this, they really should start them earlier. Whatever happened to afternoon games in the World Series? I miss those.
Brett Alan said…
What a crazy game. Fortunately I'm currently in a time zone where it ended at lunchtime.

Of course as a Mets fan I will never forget that Game 6 against Houston. I was in college, too, and watched it in the basement of my dorm. I recall actually standing on the couch at times. I never made it to the cafeteria that night--I wasn't going to leave that game just to eat! Ended up going out for wings, I think, but I'm sure the cafeteria was closed by the time that ended. Best game ever.
Commishbob said…
It's been weird all right. I think there may be something to the 'baseballs are juiced' theory. I also think we are seeing two excellent managers who are both mis-handling their staffs under WS pressure.

I also gripe about the length of the games. Too many mound visits by catchers (I like Brian McCann, he's this years David Ross, but do you need to talk to the pitcher every three pitches?)...batters stepping out (I thought you had to have contacted the pitch to step out???) ....extra commercials...God Bless America (call me unpatriotic but do we need that to be stretched to six minutes?)...the stand up to cancer feel good promotion which is just a commercial for Mastercard...Hey I'm a three time cancer survivor but do we need to stop the game AGAIN?

One thing that's not to blame is Minute Maid Park. It used to be a homer launch pad but going back three years I see that the rate of dingers is below the average ballpark. I can't explain why it's suddenly "Tenrun Field" again.

Now get off my lawn!
BobWalkthePlank said…
I tried my hardest to stay up, but ultimately fell asleep in the 9th. That won't happen again! As for the series itself I'm finding it more entertaining than the Cubs/Indians series from last year. The seventh game last year was an all time classic, but the overall entertainment factor goes to the Dodgers/Astros. I'm rooting for a Dodgers win tonight.
Mark Hoyle said…
I think both pitching staffs are burnt out. The Astros pen wasn't a strength to begin with. I think Roberts has completely mis managed his pen .
Fuji said…
Emotionally it's hard to put into words how I feel about this WS. I know it's not bull$hit or stupid though. Exhausting? Stressful? Exciting? Emotional? Maybe a little of each of these.

Although I'd love to see Kershaw pitch a 1-hit shutout and grab the win. I'd rather see Altuve go 3 for 5 with a home run... but not at the expense of "juiced" balls. I'm hoping this is just some kind of urban legend... although it's probably legit.
AdamE said…
I don't know what your talking about, that have was over before 11.

Seriously though for a guy that no longer has a horse in the race games 2 and 5 were incredibly entertaining. Even my father who passionately hates baseball text me when the Astros went up by 3 "this games over not enough time for the dodgers to catch up". An hour later he text me that maybe baseball is better than he thought all along.
zman40 said…
I thought Sunday was stupid. I felt like I was watching men's slow pitch softball.