Skip to main content

Supposed rarities from 15 years ago


I've been hearing for maybe a couple of years now how difficult it is to find cards from about 15 years ago. I'm not sure of the exact time period, but I think it's around 2000-2005.

I don't go looking for cards from that era very often, so I'm just basing it on heresay, and please don't turn this into an internet legend, because I'm still trying to get that 1966 Topps Grant Jackson-Bart Shirley card thanks to "legend". But I've definitely seen it discussed.

It mostly has to do, I think, with buying boxes of cards of certain sets from that time period. They either are too expensive or just not that available. And I've heard this complaint enough times that I've started treating cards from this time as pseudo-rare finds.

Recently, a couple of cards from that time period landed my way. They came in a PWE of just five cards from Twitter friend, Chris. But two of the cards were off my want list and both were from 2001, so, they were rare -- or at least that's what I've made myself believe.

One card was the above league leader card of Kevin Brown from 2001 Fleer Tradition. I realized just after writing that last sentence how ridiculous it sounds that a Kevin Brown card would be elusive. I'm sure it isn't at all. Here's a box you could buy. I don't think that's a bad price. And, golly, here it is much cheaper. That's just entered my budget wheelhouse.


Here is another supposedly elusive 2001 set, Upper Deck Vintage. This Shawn Green card -- possibly one of the worst photos of Green ever to appear on a card -- was another want. I have hundreds of Shawn Green cards. Elusive he is not. But that's what people are saying about that time period.

Let's see what I can find on a box of UD Vintage.

...

...

OK, maybe that thing about being difficult to find might be correct. People are still hunting for Ichiro and Pujols rookies, I guess.

See, that makes me value my Shawn Green card a little more.

The other cards that Chris sent aren't difficult to find.




A couple of A&G wants from this year and a '70s Bills card. If you're going to send me Bills cards, a '70s item is the way to go.

I have very little attachment to cards from 2000-05, so even if those sets do seem to be elusive, it's going to be hard for me to get interested enough to chase them. I guess that means it'll be more difficult for the team collector in me, but you know me and my collecting strategy:

I follow my heart.

It's the only way.

Comments

Jeremya1um said…
I'd bet you could find the singles on eBay or COMC or other places, they may probably be a tad more than you want to pay for a 15 year old card. The boxes may be difficult because ok the Pujols and Ichiro rookies as you said. Makes me wish I had a little more money back then and knew that those 2 would be Hall of Famers.
I must say my collection is hurting quite a bit on those years. I use to have them, key word USE. Since restarting my collection I am hurting big time on those years. The auction I went to and I wound up picking up what I wanted from the guy who ultimately bought the collection was loaded with those years. It felt good marking off early 21st Century cards, but the want lists are still HUGE...I get it!
CrazieJoe said…
Definitely in agreement, early 2000 cards for whatever reason seem to be a bit lacking - especially in my collection.
Fuji said…
I never took the time to think about it... but 2000 to 2005 (actually 2001 to 2006 for me) is probably the time period I have the least cards of from the modern era. It's a pretty simple explanation for me though. I was out of the hobby.

Side note: I love the 2001 Fleer Tradition set. The design is sweet. Those factory sets are pretty affordable, considering it contains Pujols and Ichiro rookie cards.
dayf said…
I have truckloads of that crap poopy garbage because I was apparently the only person in the world who was still collecting cards at that time.
will happily trade it all for some dogeared creased up commons from the 60s that I need