Skip to main content

When I can handle a dollar-a-card purchase


Don't excited. I'm not about to praise Bowman Chrome.

I'm just saying that buying a pack of this stuff is easier to justify to my wallet than buying a box of Heritage High Numbers, even though both break down to a dollar per card.

So, yesterday, Mr. Big Spender bought a pack of Bowman Chrome -- just to show he can spend a dollar on a base card that isn't from 1975 or earlier.

But, of course, that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Each year I buy a single pack of Bowman Chrome and that's it. I will never understand Bowman Chrome's point. It costs too much. It's the same cards that are in the regular Bowman set. It's basically Topps Chrome, except more expensive and with a bunch of players nobody knows.

But obviously someone out there gets it because Topps keeps issuing it. I think that's the reason why I pick up a pack each year. I think maybe one of these years, I'll understand it.

So let's see what three cards came out of this puny, $3.18 pack.

Oh, and as an added bonus, the cards scan like crap:


#206 - Justin Morneau, Twins

The man who deprived Derek Jeter of the MVP award in 2006. The injustice! The outrage! The indignity!

Ah, who cares.


#BCP128 - Jeremy Nowak, Orioles

The reason I'm buying this stuff, apparently. Nowak was in Class A ball last year.

Wee.


#179 - Adam Lind, Blue Jays

He had all kinds of issues last season.

...

And there you go.

That's the pack.

...

...

I feel like a comedian whose routine ended two minutes earlier than planned.

...

So, uh, what else do you want to talk about?

...

Now, I don't want to be accused of being one of those people who doesn't like a product and therefore doesn't want anyone to buy it and thinks it should die a slow-and-painful death.

I think sometimes people confuse criticism with saying a product shouldn't exist.

That's not what I'm saying at all.

I'm just saying that the cards are expensive.

And they're just like the ones in other Bowman products.

And the cards are of people you have to look up.

And they scan like crap.

But buy it if you want.

But you probably shouldn't.

And it probably shouldn't exist.

But I didn't say that.

Comments

Spiegel83 said…
Agreed. Bowman Chrome cheats you.
JediJeff said…
Bowman Chrome sucks. Have never bought a pack and I never will.
Anonymous said…
I'm saying Bowman Chrome shouldn't exist! I don't understand why there should be 5 different (or however many there really are) Bowman products every year.

I don't understand it or Topps Chrome either. Like you said - it's the same cards.

Though I did buy 2 boxes of Topps Mini...
Anonymous said…
Totally agree with you on the chrome cards, although I did get caught up in the Bowman Platinum this year (much to my pocketbook's chagrin!).
Zayden said…
The only reason that I've picked up anything Bowman from time to time is the fact that I have absolutely no idea what I will be getting in the pack... but yea later when you find out that you paid 4 dollars for a pack and wound up with basically nothing, that stops me from buying tons of the stuff...but if I ever get rich, Bowman Chrome here I come.
Commishbob said…
How do you get all your scans so damn straight?

It's maddening.
unclemoe said…
I would have been happier with the $3.

moe.
madding said…
THAT'S THE JOKE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDEuLXLNGBo