Skip to main content

The nebulous 9 gets taken out to the woodshed


If you are the type who religiously charts the progress of my Nebulous 9 list on the sidebar -- and if you aren't, what the hell is wrong with you? -- then you know it has undergone a vast makeover.

Around Halloween time, my Nebulous 9 was down to a Nebulous 3. It took me a little bit of time to recuperate from the want list beating administered by grogg (who, by the way, has a new blog -- at least I think that's what it is. Don't ask me what "tumblr" is).

But Nebby Niney is back to its old self, revitalized, and insistent and once again nine cards strong.

So let's have a look at the cards that grogg sent that damaged Nebby so, shall we?

The first is the Broxton 2010 A&G short-print. This card took me way too long to obtain. I'm still in need of four more cards for the entire set though (#238, #257, #266, #322). Just once I'd like to complete this set before November.


Good ol' grogg also sent the regular-back mini and A&G back mini of Broxton, too, just for good measure.


You don't know how embarrassing it is to put a card of a guy wearing a Diamondbacks uniform on your Nebulous 9 list. That's why I'm glad Upper Deck lost its license. You don't mess with the Neb 9, UD.


You didn't know Frank Zappa appeared on a baseball card, did you?

This is one of those cards that I came across that I suddenly realized I didn't have. Baffled by the fact that I was missing a card from the mid-80s, it immediately went on the Nebulous 9. Now my '85 Fleer Dodger set is complete -- well except for that stupid checklist.


This '03 Fan Favorites Don Newcombe card had been one of the longest surviving members of the Nebulous 9. It's one of the few Fan Favorite Dodgers that I had not yet obtained. I'm quite pleased to have it, and it's a nice complement to my actual '56 Topps Newcombe card.


This Nebulous 9 card allowed me to complete my 1971 Topps Dodgers set. Yay! I also received a second '71 Rich Allen a day or so after this one, which allowed me to ship an Allen off to Heartbreaker Central. Yay again!


This is not one of the thousands of different kinds of Piazza Bowman rookie reprints that are out there. This is the original Piazza rookie. I'm very pleased to finally have this card. I can't believe how difficult it was to get an early '90s card. I mean, I think they're using early '90s cards for livestock feed now.


The Piazza card did it for the Nebulous 9 needs, but grogg wasn't finished. He sent a much-appreciated Dodger Chrome card.


And two cards from one of the most in-your-face sets of all-time, 1999 Flair Showcase/Showpiece/Showdown/Showmethemoney/Showalittleclass. Whatever.


Finally, grogg's good fortune in the Million Card Giveaway was my good fortune. He redeemed this 1954 card of Charlie Thompson and sent it my way!

Thompson was doomed to a fate of joining the Dodgers while Brooklyn had Roy Campanella at the catching position. He was traded to Kansas City in 1956 and played a couple seasons for the A's before finishing up with the Tigers in 1958. Baseball-reference doesn't list him as Charles, though. He is called Tim Thompson.

As I mentioned before, I'm tremendously pleased by the success of the Nebulous 9. It's a great trading tool, although it'll take me awhile to reciprocate the cards that grogg sent my way, especially at this time of year.

Don't worry about beating up on the Nebby 9. The ol' want list can take it. It always bounces back.

Comments

The Piazza is pretty awesome. Gotta love the 90's Flair inserts too.
Greg Zakwin said…
Love the Piazza RC, and the Thompson is pretty sick.