Skip to main content

Sick scoreboard card, pt. 2

Oh, yes. I did go there.

I was trying to think of a title for my new series on scoreboard cards. I wanted to try to tie it in with the "awesome night card" title somehow.

So, I thought, why not use one of the most despised, over-used, ridiculous words ever uttered in conjunction with rectangular cardboard pieces? Then I would be using that irksome word for purposes of good rather than evil. I'd also be using "sick" to describe a common-variety base card. Wouldn't that make a mojo jojo's head explode?

So that's what I'm gonna do. Like "awesome," "sick" is a word I rarely use in public, unless someone I know is running a temperature. But on the blog? Anything goes, kiddies.

Today's SICK scoreboard card is the 1981 Fleer Rich Gale card. I like this particular card because it shows Exhibition Stadium's SICK scoreboard. Exhibition Stadium was the Blue Jays' home for their first 10-plus years of existence. It was SICK!

I remember watching the Blue Jays' very first home game in 1977 on my grandmother's SICK television in Buffalo while on Easter vacation. It snowed. Not at my grandmother's. At the game.

Even though Toronto was rather close to me, I never got to a game at Exhibition Stadium. It wasn't until 25 years later that I attended a Blue Jays game (it was Roger Clemens vs. Andy Pettitte. SICK!).

Anyway, I enjoy the classic old scoreboard, but I have no idea what is up with that glob of electric light in the bottom left corner of the scoreboard. Plus, the foul pole running through the center of the card kind of obscures the scoreboard.

So, with that, I can only give the '81 Fleer Rich Gale card:










Two out of a possible four disembodied hand claps.

Maybe it's not a SICK scoreboard card. Maybe it's merely an Under The Weather scoreboard card.

Comments

For the first time every, I almost got SICK reading one of your posts. Ok, maybe not. However, like many a blogger, I "dig" the disembodied hand-o-meter.
Doc said…
"I have no idea what is up with that glob of electric light in the bottom left corner of the scoreboard."

Pixelated snow.

So are you (un)officially collecting scoreboard cards now?
SpastikMooss said…
The name, and the disembodied claps, both rule. So sick!
Bo said…
At least it's not "wicked".
Contrary Guy said…
My youngest son is a fan of skateboarder Ryan Scheckler who says "sick" quite a bit; even when he's not sick.

Frankly, it is hard to get used to.
Roy said…
Night Owl I have a killer night/scoreboard shot card. I can pop it up on the blog if you'd like.
Jeffrey Wolfe said…
I had this card at one point. I believe if you look closely all that stuff on the scoreboard it is a crude pixelated representation of the inside of Exhibition Stadium.
night owl said…
Doc~ I haven't made scoreboard cards a collecting priority at the moment, but I'm always interested in them, which bring me to:

Roy-Z ~ Pop away. Always enjoy the night/scoreboard card combo. Those are the cards that will get 4 out of 4 disembodied hand claps.
Roy said…
Excellent.

Here it is:

http://apaperchase.blogspot.com/2010/01/nightscoreboard-card-for-night-owl.html

Enjoy.

Word Verification: blorple

I really wish that was a real word. Should we make it into one?