Skip to main content

The greatest card package ever: letters M-Z

Here is the third in the three-part series on the GCPE, sent to me by Joe L. I'll keep this brief, because time is short less than 48 hours before the big day.

These are cards of Dodgers that I received with last names M to Z. I'm not showing all of the players. Apologies to Roger McDowell, Bob Ojeda, Chan Ho Park, Brad Penny, Eric Young, etc. But attention spans are short. Onward:

Greg Maddux (1 card): I always try to show a card with Maddux in a Dodger uniform. He played for the team twice, which means he thought they were worth another try. Of course, he did that with the Cubs, too.

Russell Martin (4 cards): I'm going with the 2008 Finest card as my favorite. Don't know why. Not exactly the finest year for Finest.

Pedro Martinez (1 card): This is a neat little insert from 2005 Playoff Prestige. I like the later-day Pedro-in-a-Dodger-uniform cards.

Ramon Martinez (4 cards): This is from 1998 SP Authentic. I had no idea SP-A had been around for so long. I need someone to write a book called "Collecting in the '90s for Dummies." There is so much I have to learn.

Fred McGriff (2 cards): Again, any card of McGriff in a Dodger uniform is cool. Did you know McGriff's father operated a television repair shop? You would if you had the 2003 Topps Gallery card.

Raul Mondesi (18 cards): Early Upper Deck SP cards are quite foreign to me. You can't argue with a young Mondesi and a blatant advertisement for Gatorade.

Hideo Nomo (17 cards): Lots of good stuff on the Nomo front, but this 2003 Upper Deck Classic Portraits card has a frame that puts UD Masterpieces to shame. Very fancy.

Andy Pafko (1 card): A chromed-up version of the iconic 1952 Topps card? Odd.

Mike Piazza (10 cards): These Ultra Pro cards that came with pages in the '90s are delightfully awkward. I'm told that, back in the day, they were "rare," as they're numbered to 100,000(!). Piazza is wearing a tux on the back of the second card. I can't bring myself to show it.

Luke Prokopec (1 card): I wanted this guy to succeed for the Dodgers so bad, so I could say an Australian starred for the Dodgers. But then he was traded to the Blue Jays in the deal for Cesar Izturis. Prokepec's career lasted 3 years.

Manny Ramirez (2 cards): Only one thing can get me to avoid showing the '09 Legendary Cuts Manny, and that is the "black ultra rare" '08 Starquest card! This looks bitchin' on the blog. Not quite as fancy in person.

Pee Wee Reese (1 card): Did you know Pee Wee wore purple? Or that his face was that color? Me either. 1994 Signature has some explaining to do.

Dave Roberts (1 card): 2002 Fleer Tradition is my favorite of all the Traditions. That's right. I'll throw it right in there with hanging up stockings and leaving cookies out for Santa.

Gary Sheffield (7 cards): This 2001 insert from Topps is super-thick. Quite an awesome card.

Darryl Strawberry (1 card): You never know where Dodgers are hiding with all of the inserts. This is a set I'm trying to complete -- 1993 Upper Deck -- and one I know pretty well. And this card had eluded my knowledge.

Eric Stults (1 card): This 2007 Heritage card was a future Nebulous 9 selection. But Joe sent the card to me before it could get on the list. Now my '07 Heritage Dodger set is complete.

Shane Victorino (1 card): It's not quite as good as getting a card of Roberto Clemente in a Dodger uniform, but it's kind of cool. I don't have the feeling of "what could have been" with Victorino as I do with Chase Utley. The Dodgers are pretty set in the outfield.

And that will do it.

The cards have been scanned, they've been posted, and they've been catalogued. Phew! All I need is like four more binders to file these babies.

Joe, it might have been a lot of work -- it continues to be a lot of work -- but it's all fun. Many thanks again. Tell your card shop buddy thanks, too.

Comments

oldschoolbreaks said…
"Collecting the '90s for Dummies" huh? Haha...