Skip to main content

You've been warned

I did warn you. Cory Snyder is my witness. I said I had a bunch of card packages to post. And it is time to do the dirty deed. Isn't that right, Cory? Cory says, "hell, yeah."

I'll be combining two packages into one post. These cards are from Chris of On Card Autos and from Rhubarb_Runner of e rayhahn, rayhahn (no, I don't know what that means). It's a delightful mix of the newer cards and the older cards. So, let's get to it.

First, Chris threatened to send me every Dodger card he owned. And I responded in the only proper way to respond to a threat. I said, "OK!"

Here is a review of just some of the cards that found holes in my Dodger collection.

Edwin Jackson, 2005 Donruss Team Heroes: I'm hoping that if I post enough cards of Edwin Jackson, that the Tigers will trade him to the Dodgers, for, like, Juan Castro.

Orel Hershiser, 1992 Leaf gold. Weeeeeee! A Hershiser I don't have. Between the black borders and the gold foil, I expect the entire card to flake off in the next 10 years.

Stan Kyles, 1988 Albuquerque Dukes card. An awesome rectangle of awesomeness. I love everything about this card. The Dukes uniforms, the day-glo green and yellow with the black border. The puffy clouds in the background. Kyles is now the Brewers' bullpen coach.

BRING ...

BACK ...

TOPPS ...

TOTAL!!

How often does that have to be repeated? And Jason, please, grow a goatee or something.

Brett Butler, 1994 Pinnacle. Chris sent me a bunch of '94 Pinnacle Dodgers. This is the best one.

Jorge Nunez, 2002 Upper Deck: Please tell me that they actually dragged this guy to the beach in his uniform and took the photo. Because if this is just some cheesy backdrop like they use for family portraits at Olin Mills, then Upper Deck deserves to lose their license.

I'll finish off Chris' cards with a great floating head card from Upper Deck Vintage. None of these guys did much. But at least they can say they were a disembodied head.

OK, onto the vintage stuff. I sent a bunch of Twins to Rhubarb_Runner for some 1971 Topps needs. Like I said earlier, my '71 wants are disappearing rapidly. He also sent me a few high-number cards, which is terrific.

Time to get in the wayback machine:
I have bypassed this card about 300 times when leafing through dealers' 1971 cards. The hatless cards are an instant turn-off. The curly-cue greaser thing, or whatever the heck Baldwin was featuring, is a bit unsettling. Sadly, this was Baldwin's last card and he never got a chance to redeem himself.

Another card that I have seen many times but never managed to land. But unlike the Baldwin card, I have no quibble with this one. Sorry, Willie. It's been too long.

The 1970 Astros. We all remember them right? Denis Menke. Johnny Edwards. Marty Martinez. At least they were better than the Padres.

All right, the best part of these two cards is the same three players are featured on both cards, but every photo is different. Would Topps do that today?

A Brewers bonanza! The Brewers had some uniform issues in their early days. In fact, they have had several uniform issues over the years. They're just not good dressers, that team. (I apologize for all the cards tilting to the left -- I scanned a lot of these cards in the semi-darkness).

Denny McLain, apparently reacting to his future.

There used to be this collectibles shop where I live that sold cards. I bought a bunch of '75 cards there when I was building the set. But I was always interested in the '71s. He had this Aparacio card on display. It was in slightly better shape than this one, but not by much. The guy wanted too much money for it. So I just drooled over it every time I went in. Now, the shop doesn't sell cards anymore, the guy has disappeared, and I just acquired the card in a trade that cost me a few Twins cards that I didn't care about.

That, my friends, is called "justice."

Oh, yeah. And I got this guy named Seaver. I hear he was supposed to be pretty good.

More card package posts on the way! You've been warned again.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ha - yeah, it's been a while since I explained by blog title...
http://mmmrhubarb.wordpress.com/2009/04/12/a-rose-by-any-other-name-would-wither-away-and-die-my-favorite-year/

Glad you enjoyed the cards - we'll have to do it again sometime!
SpastikMooss said…
Weird...I was looking at Mike Prokopec cards yesterday for a pc I might start and I totally came across the Luke floating heads card. I love when that happens with card blogging.
zman40 said…
Speaking of which, I got your two packages yesterday. It's good to see that the dollar store has some great cards to offer right now. Thanks!

I agreee; bring back Topps Total!
Anonymous said…
I love the tom seaver card! I have that same card, in about the same condition (if not worse) and I got it in my local card store( which i dont think is still there) it was 25 cents in the bargain box!
Those '71 League Leader cards are tough to stomach... That was Williams' best shot at the MVP award. Bench got him then, and again two years later. Arrrggghhhh!!!!