Skip to main content

Define the design: 87F & 88F

I think we can all agree that they need to bring back Fleer, right?

Everyone loves Fleer. Well, except for a four-year period that I'll get to in a few short sentences. Fleer had Super Star Specials, wacky day-in-the-life photos, and simple designs that looked like Fleer was trying, but not trying too hard (until it got to 1995).

Because of that, it might be difficult to come up with a name for some of the the company's designs of the past. But I'm going to try, because I've neglected Fleer in the Define the Design segment so far, and Fleer is sick of being neglected. It's time to stand up for Fleer!

So, I present to you two Fleer designs from the late 1980s -- 1987 and 1988. For me, these are two very pleasing designs. The 1987 cards are some of my favorites from the '80s, even though I have precious few of them. The 1987 and 1988 cards represent the last couple of decent sets for Fleer before it slipped into its dark period -- 1989 through 1992. Ugh, what a lousy group of sets those were.

By 1993, Fleer was on its way back, and 1994 is a fantastic set. But now all we have from Fleer are memories, and a landfill's worth of radioactive 1991 cards. So, for the good times, what is the best name for the design of ...

... 1987 Fleer ...

... and 1988 Fleer?

I'm looking for a simple name for a simple design from a simple card company. I have a couple ideas in mind, but I'm waiting to see if someone comes up with the same idea. That may clinch it.

The person who comes up with the winning name, may or may not win a card prize. There are so many contests going on right now, and I'm still trying to dig out of all the trades I've got going. So, I may award something, but it'll take awhile for me to send anything.

Comments

Captain Canuck said…
not great names, but I always think of Gatorade when I see the '87's, and Candy canes when I see the '88's

maybe that's just me...
Nachos Grande said…
I always called the 88 set the Barber shop set.
beardy said…
I always referred '88 to it as the 4th of July set.

Baseball equals summer, which equals 4th of July which in turn equals Rocket Pops.
Two Packs A Day said…
1987 Fleer would be "smooth blue gradient"

1988 fleer is "Funfetti".

It reminds my favorite white frosted birthday cake with sprinkles (the Funfetti frosting you can buy in the grocery store).
The Mojo Hand said…
I always think of the red, and blue lazer background picture my mom made me take in 7th grade when I look at the 88 cards.

Mojo
Cuntry Trash said…
I think 87 and 88 Fleer (next to 89 Leaf and 90 UD) are my all-time favorite sets.

I always thought the 88 Fleer set reminded me of red, white and blue American colors. That's all I see when I see the set.

As for 87 Fleer, never thought to much about it except that Dodger players looks really nice.
Dave said…
87 Fleer set" "Blue Heaven"
Matthew Glidden said…
If only '87 had red, white, AND blue, it could be "rocket pop." Just blue and white looks more like "freezer pop."
Anonymous said…
1987- The Clear Blue Sky Set
1988- The Fruit Stripe Gum Set
gcrl said…
i always thought of 87 fleer as just 'the blue set'. i never gave 88 fleer any thought, but the barber shop set as mentioned above seems to make sense.