Skip to main content

Take me out to the ball game

The thing that I like about minor league card sets -- and by minor league card sets I mean the sets issued at the ballpark, not the Bowman/Tri-Star stuff -- is that you really get a feel for being at the game, even more so than with major league cards.

I'm not sure why that is. Maybe it's that the cards aren't as slick. Maybe it's the photo choices. Maybe it's that they have cards like the one here -- of Albuquerque Isotopes "base cleaner" Sophie -- that give you a glimpse of what you'll experience at the ballpark, moments that major league cards skip.

I received the 2009 Isotopes set from Dinged Corners, whose proprietors happen to live "down the road" from the Isotopes' home park. Or at least a lot more "down the road" than I am. They know I like the Dodgers (how could you not?), and sent me the full stack of L.A.'s Triple A team. The Dodgers are back in Albuquerque where they belong, after years of banishment in Las Vegas (yes, Vegas is banishment, don't question my baseball logic).

I'm quite fond of the Sophie card, because I do have a young daughter, and I also happen to have a niece named Sophie. But I like a whole bunch of the other cards in the set, too.

Like the card of the manager, Tim Wallach. I've always liked him. He's got the glasses now. Getting old.

And the pitching coach Jim Slaton, who is good friends with Baltimore Orioles manager Dave Trembley.

I have a bunch of Blake DeWitt cards in a major league uniform. Autographed cards, cards of him throwing (lots of those), hitting, standing. Shiny or your basic glossy cardboard. But this is my first card of him in an Isotopes uniform.

Same goes for Chin-Lung Hu. I'm beginning to think the minors is Hu's true destiny. I don't know. I thought he was a better player than that. We'll see.

Another guy who has bounced between the minors and majors for years. I hear Repko's a nice guy. I live too far away. I wouldn't know.


Here are a couple of cards of some players who were brought up to the Dodgers this season for a brief period before being sent back down. I'm glad I have these cards, because there probably won't be cards of these two in any update sets this year.

Next are a group of guys who have all been either considered for the No. 5 starter spot for the Dodgers or have pitched a few games in that role. Estes, I think, has only been considered. He hasn't been in the majors all year.

James McDonald's turn as the No. 5 starter earlier this year wasn't that great. But he's doing pretty good as a reliever. Heaven knows, the Dodgers need their relievers this year.

Ah, Eric Milton. I still can't believe he's pitching for L.A. His stats really aren't too bad.

And Mr. Scowly. Weaver's done decently, too. And now the Dodgers have Jason Schmidt in the role. I know these guys don't provide a lot of confidence, but collectively they've done pretty good. That's why I'm not for any desperate attempt to get Roy Halladay.

It doesn't appear right now that the Dodgers are front-runners for Halladay, which is a load off my mind. I hear Halladay and Kershaw mentioned in the same sentence, and I break out in hives. Yes, I've read all the pros and cons of keeping or dealing Kershaw. I'm still firmly on the side of keeping.

Lastly, I'm showing Orbit, a mascot who definitely looks like he's suffered from too much radiation exposure. The back says he weighs 300 pounds, but adds that it's mostly fur. 300 pounds of fur? Yeah, that's definitely some sort of side effect.

That's not all that DC sent, though. They also provided some fine cards of players wearing the Dodger colors.

This is a 1988 Fleer Baseball's MVP's Fernando Valenzuela card. As readily available as late 1980s cards are, I don't know if I'll ever get all the Dodgers from this period. I can't believe I didn't have this card already. There were so many cards issued then.

I always seem to get a Campy card from Patricia and Lucy. And that's great. The card back says Campanella once caught four games in one day. And my back hurts after 20 minutes of yard work.

Finally, a couple of Orel Hershiser cards I didn't have. I may have more Hershiser cards than any other player. I'm nowhere near the total that Mark has. But I'm always surprised when I get a couple that I don't have.

Accompanying the package of cards was a hand-written note from Lucy:

I'm speechless. Thanks, Lucy. That's a Dodger on the mound there, you know. And he's about to throw a strike.

Thanks again for a fantastic package. Always a joy to open. Go Isotopes!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I find that I have more affection for minor league team sets, too. I like seeing the mascots and other oddball cards that show up.
AlbuqwirkE said…
I am completely addicted to minor league sets. - especially uncut proof sheets!
Captain Canuck said…
yep, he threw a strike right down the middle and Brian McCann took him deep.
Two Packs A Day said…
Estes is retired, apparently getting tired of the Dodgers not promoting him.

Milton is injured with the big club and may be out for the season.

I like the Rosario photo in the card set.

btw, to follow the isotopes, my fan website is:

http://www.albuquerque-baseball.com