Skip to main content

Reuss rolls auto my way

Ugh, what a lousy post title. I've been writing headlines too long.

Anyway, I'm happy to show my two cards autographed through the mail by former Dodgers pitching standout Jerry Reuss. They arrived today.

Note that Reuss took great care not to cover his image with his signature. It's pretty cool. And I like his signature. Very distinctive, without being sloppy.

This card took a mere 35 days to reach me. Reuss now works as a broadcaster for the Dodgers, so I think it's great he took time out of his schedule to sign a few cards. I am now 4-for-5 in my TTM attempts, which are only going to my most favorite Dodger players.

Reuss was one of my favorites for his performances in the early 1980s for the Dodgers. He was quite good once he got over a lousy 1979 season, his first for L.A. He signaled his return to the days with the Pirates, when he was an All-Star, by throwing a no-hitter against the Giants (HA!) in 1980.

Between 1980-82, he was 46-21 for the Dodgers, winning 18 games for L.A. in both 1980 and 1982 (yeah, I know wins don't mean anything, but it's about all we had back then. He was still one of L.A.'s top pitchers). He was second in the Cy Young voting in 1980.

Mostly, I liked Reuss' sense of humor. He was one of several whimsical players on the Dodgers back in the '80s. Players like that make this game more fun than any other. A lot of baseball players don't take themselves too seriously. Even with all that money. I think players in sports like football could learn a little something from that.

Mr. Reuss, many thanks for the performances, memories and the autographs. Now I'll have to get to work sending out some more TTM attempts (I only have 2 floating out there right now). Next week I'll be sending out three more to favorite Dodgers. I'll keep you posted.

Comments

Matt Runyon said…
It's always nice to see something like that in the mailbox
Somebody is hooked on TTM's... Congrats, he has a great looking signature!!
He DOES have a great signature...it looks like he really takes his time and isn't sloppy. Very nice.