Skip to main content

Yes, I was serious

Remember that quiz I gave a few days ago to keep you occupied while I was at the card show? The one with all the ridiculous questions and the nonsensical choices for answers? The one in which I said there might be a prize, if I felt like it?

Well, it turns out I was serious. Serious in the silliest way possible. But you must know this about me: I like silly. To me, cards and silly go together. People who are serious about their cards? They're not for me. Cards are silly. Collecting is silly. This hobby is a giant vat of steaming, bubbling silly. And everyone needs to jump in.

So, to those of you who jumped in, thanks. You're up for the prize. And that prize just happens to be some cards. I will reveal the winner here.

You may be wondering how I'm going to determine a winner when all but the first question had answers that were 100 percent subjective. Well, I selected the correct answers beforehand and then went through all of the answers provided in the comments and matched them up to find the winner. See? It's very scientific. Do you think this was just something I came up with in a gleeful frenzy while preparing for my first card show in six months? No, no, no! This took careful planning, people!

So, on with the correct answers. If you don't remember the choices that went with each question, click here.

1. This card was sent to me by which blogger (hint: he says 1993 Leaf is the best card set EVAR!)?

Answer: The answer is "c," Jeff of Card Junkie.

2. Pablo Ozuna is flying through the air because ...

Answer: Gravity may be for losers, but actually Eric Byrnes is a fugitive from justice. Why do you think he's such a spaz on the field? It's nervous energy created by years of being on the lam. The answer is "b"

3. This card shows:

Answer: This is an easy one. The answer is "a," the end of heavy metal as we know it. If you were able to see the back of the card it'd be even more obvious: "I was always smiling," Mark Slaughter says. "I was a good kid. I had great parents, a pretty normal childhood. I've been a person who enjoyed life, right from the beginning." Those are some great heavy metal lyrics, Mark.

4. Dave Freisleben pronounces his name thusly:

Answer: I believe Capewood said it best when he said, "Who cares?" That's why the answer is "d," banana.

5. What is behind the red curtain?

Answer: "b," empty pizza boxes and beer cans.

6. What is Sam booing?

Answer: This was a toughie, since there were so many worthy candidates. But you must remember that there is only one right answer and that answer is "c." Book value is always, always worth booing.

7. Is it possible to smile with a mustache like that?

Answer: b) No. Lots of people guessed this.

8. Why isn't Jay Johnstone smiling despite the goofy umbrella hat?

Answer: Of course, the answer is "d," he plays for the Cubs.

A side question: Do you think Cubs players want to take a pick ax to their ears every time they hear "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"? Seriously, how many times do they hear that song in a season? It has got to wear on them. Maybe that's why they haven't won in 101 years.

9. What is Craig Monroe doing to this kid?

Answer: Aw, come on. He's just signing his shirt, man. The answer is "a"

10. Who is bothered the most by this card?

Answer: a) Cubs fans. There is a Topps Fan Favorites card of Brett Butler, based on the 1991 Topps design, that shows Butler in a Dodger uniform but uses Giants colors in the design. Boy, that irks me.

11. Who is the real vixen in Vixen?

Answer: d) Roxy Petrucci. That's the brunette on the left. Why is that the right answer? Her name is Roxy, she plays the drums, and if you saw the "Bands Reunited" episode that featured Vixen on VH1, she was awesome. Easily the biggest metal head in the group.

12. Why is Hal McRae laughing in this 1976 card?

Answer: A lot of comments about the teeth on this one. The answer is c. Anytime you can work in George Brett and hemorrhoids, it's got to be the correct answer.

13. Who is my least favorite television broadcaster?

Answer: This is like when the teacher gave you 5 points for signing your name at the top of the page. I gave you the answer. I don't like Chris Berman and I don't like Joe Buck. But neither of them had a history with me before they became announcers. Morgan did. The answer is "c"

14. What is infielder Nate Oliver doing in the background?

Answer: d) Who cares? I'm at a card show. (Hint: whenever this is a choice, pick it as the answer).

AND THE WINNER IS:

Matt R. of Project Baseball 1976! Matt guessed a whopping nine questions correctly! (The operative word in that sentence is "guessed.") Matt, you'll be getting an email from me so I can get your address. I'll be sending you some cards!

There you go. It pays to be silly.

Comments

Motherscratcher said…
I can't believe I missed this. I would have crushed that quiz.

Stupid obligations.
Matt Runyon said…
Winning stuff is always cool! Thanks! :)
Unknown said…
we all need more "silly" in our lives . . . thank you !
Dinged Corners said…
We too missed this! ack! ]]sob[[
Maybe another one will happen.