Skip to main content

We're under .500!

Don't you hate it when fans refer to their favorite team as "we"? Yeah, me, too. But then I go and do it myself. So call me a hypocrite. You won't be the first.

I'm not terribly pleased with how the Dodgers are starting the season. Tonight was a new low as the Dodgers were drubbed by their leading rivals in the NL West, slipped below .500 for the first time, and lost their opening day pitcher to the disabled list. All in one day! Weee!

But it's too early to get too cranky. So I'm going the happy route and cheering myself up with some Dodger cards, direct from Matt of Heartbreaking Cards. To be honest, I'm not sure what I did to deserve these cards. I may have sent Matt some cards, I may owe him some cards (I do know that I have a tiny pile reserved for him). I'm not sure. But thanks.

Matt pulled the repack switcheroo on me by sending me one of those cereal boxes (Mickey on the front), but instead of '09 cards, out came Dodgers. Wacky hijinks! I do enjoy those kinds of repacks.

Lots of cards to get to, so I'll keep the commentary short. I'll twitter it, or whatever the kids are saying these days. If you have nothing else to do, you can count along and see if each comment is 140 characters or less.

A '93 Topps gold card of Todd Benzinger. Ah, foil stamping. It never looked right back in the early '90s. At least to me.

One of my favorite Dodger pitchers from the '80s. He was very effective. Even on 1986 Donruss he is effective. He is somehow making me not hate this design. How does he do it?

Jason Schmidt is not worthy of a chrome card. He's been featured on chrome, he's been short-printed in Allen & Ginter. Tell me what he's done to deserve that.

Gary Sheffield from a set that is totally new to me. But Skybox Premium's most notable point may be the card backs:

Mondesi looks like he's about to go a few rounds.

A Documentary card that actually features a photo that goes with the game. Wow! It's a photo of the winning team. Matt Kemp hit a three-run homer in the game. The only discrepancy is that the Dodgers were at home in this game and the photo is obviously not in Dodger Stadium. But that's being picky. (OK, I totally blew the twitter limit on that one).

I said I need to feature every 2004 Bowman Heritage card I receive, so here you go.

I must have missed the mustache years of Brett Butler. I didn't even realize it was him when I first looked at the card.

This is my first 1991 Score Traded card. I have nothing more to say.

I wanted my nickname to be Pedro in high school. Really. The Rudy Law picture reminds me of a story my hateful ex-boss used to tell. I'm not going to repeat it because it just reminds me of my hateful ex-boss.

Needed this card because the previous one I got fell off a shelf and the dog snagged it. I hate putting half-chewed cards in my binders.

How do you think Eric Karros feels being featured on a card that makes him look like he's playing for eternal damnation's starting nine?

Do they have National Baseball Card Day anymore? I totally missed the previous days. Some collector I am.

O-Pee-Chee! Brock grew up in Oregon. That's practically Canada, right? ... I'm joking. JOKING. I live 30 minutes from Canada! And, no, there's nothing wrong with living near Canada. Geez, settle down.

Matt also sent a fine assortment of night cards. I've archived them for future use, except for Jose Cecena here. I think it's a night card. Either that or he's in the underground batting cage.

Finally, a 1971 Topps card I need for the eternal quest. Thanks Matt!

See? I can tweet. I only messed up a couple of times. But don't expect me to get a twitter account anytime soon. I like to babble too much.

Comments

madding said…
Man, there's a whole state in between Oregon and Canada. A stupid state, mind you...
Motherscratcher said…
I'll tweeterfy my comment, you know, for consistency.

I feel your pain on the Dodgers. Here in sunny Cleveland "we" have a pitching staff that has conspired to keep "us" winless thus far.

I like those 86 Donruss too. I think it has everything to do with Jose Canseco.

Don't be so hard on Schmidtty. He occasionally had a few good months. He was way better than Van Poppel.

At first glance I thought the stats on the back of the Mondesi card were actually horizontal and written in Chinese. Strangely, I liked it better when I thought that.

Before I read you description (I swear) I thought "That's not Brett Butler. That guy has a mustache."

Feel free to say what you want about Canada. What are they going to do? Bunch of babies if you ask me.

My God...Alyssa Milano is hot. Every time I come to your blog I make sure I scroll down far enough to see her.
Motherscratcher said…
And, why the heck did Ray Romano get an 89 Upper Deck card?
night owl said…
madding: Hey, hey, Ron Cey came from that stupid state.

motherscratcher: '89 Upper Deck was before its time when they decided to put TV stars in its baseball card set, like Spectrum does today. But they knew it wouldn't be accepted by the sensible people of 1989, so they called Ray Romano "Jose Cecena" and hoped everyone bought it. They did. And everyone lived happily ever after. And, yeah, I'd never survive on Twitter.
capewood said…
I actually collect Brett Butler cards and I can't remember a single card of him with a 'stache.

I think National Baseball Card day last year was May 1st. I got a free pack of cards at Toys R Us just by asking.