Skip to main content

A reason not to burn your junk wax

I don't expect to measure up to the "competition" tonight. Bloggers are breaking news about 2009 Allen & Ginter (commence drooling now) and creating their own set of "The Big Lebowski" cards. I can't match that. So all I can do is come up with a sensational post title and hope you stick around until the end. Hey, it works for the New York Post, right?

The funny thing about junk wax is that even though everyone has too much of it, I still find that I need it. You've got people recommending that you burn it, or use it as insulation for your home, or shred it for kitty litter. All excellent ideas, except for one thing: I'm still collecting some of those cards!

Pathetic isn't it? I still have a need for some '91 Topps and '93 Fleer, and Mike Morgan's 1992 Score card up there. I should turn in my collector badge right now.

But I can't help it. No matter how many cards I get, there are still some that get past me, even cards from between 1987 and 1993.

Fortunately, there are other collectors who understand my plight. Well, maybe they don't understand, but at least they aren't slapping me around. ("You need WHAT? 1989 Donruss!!! *SMACK!* Get out of my house! Get out RIGHT NOW!).

In fact, I just received some cards of the junkish waxy variety from reader Johnny, as well as Marie from A Cardboard Problem.

First, Johnny from Kentucky contacted me about some Dodgers off my want list, including the Morgan card and some others.

I don't think 1986 Fleer falls into the junk wax era, but it's not exactly rare. Still, I'm pleased to whittle away at the Dodgers I need for this set and Scioscia is one less player I need to worry about.

1994 Topps isn't in the junk era either, but collectors aren't exactly clamoring for it. I'm certainly one of the few that NEEDED a Ricky Trlicek card until I got this one from Johnny. I remember next to nothing about Trlicek except that he got torched on the mound rather often.

Here we go with some 1993 Fleer junk wax needs. A Dominican surrounded by two L.A. natives. I'm sure Fleer would call the color of this set "silver." I call it gray. I'm not a fan of gray-bordered sets.

The final two 1991 Topps Dodgers I need for my team binder. I am so happy I never have to think about this set again. I thought I already had these cards at one point, but I actually didn't.

Meanwhile, Marie had accumulated a bunch of cards from teams she cared nothing about. She sent out a call for help, and I claimed the Dodgers. I knew I'd probably have most of them, and I did. All of the cards from the junk era I already owned. So, I really might be getting to the stage where I can turn them into kitty litter.

But Marie also sent some cards from outside that era, and I'm so glad she did. I thought I already had the 2003 Dodgers team card. But I didn't. The flippin' fence kills the card, but I love team cards anyway. I'm glad this card is home.

Another card that I needed. Vizcaino is still wearing his cap super high in this 1998 Topps card, just like back in the early '90s. Of course, who knows, maybe Topps is using an early '90s photo on this card. Wouldn't put it past them.

And, finally, three 1981 pretty in pink Topps Dodgers that I need for my team binder. Way cool. Thanks, Marie!

Even after those cards, I'm not even close to being done with junk wax. There are still cards I need from that era, as my want list will attest. Plus, I just received a box in the mail today from motherscratcher at Achiever card blog.

I won't be able to feature what I received in that crazy box until next week, but let me just tell you that it was filled with unopened packs, most from the glorious junk wax era.

Here's a little sampling:

1992 Fleer. Because you can never get enough green cards.

1992 Stadium Club. Because even in the era of overproduction, collecting a 900-card set was a full-time job. (My local hobby shop has a basket on the floor filled with '92 Stadium Club. I bypass it every time. Because I'm an idiot).


And some 1992 MegaMetal cards! So righteously awesome! I just know there are Iron Maiden cards throughout.

You can't wait to see what's in them, can you? See? Junk wax can be fun! Don't fire up the paper-shredder yet.

Comments

Captain Canuck said…
Hey man... I helped you out with the '91 Fleer set... if you need '89 or '90 Donruss, or '91 Upper Deck, I'm still your guy...
Steve Gierman said…
I think we're all lacking something from that era. It took until late last year for me to complete my 1991 Donruss team set. Same with my 1990 Topps set. There will always be those handful of cards that will elude us all.
GCA said…
I would think there are a lot of collectors out there with early 90's needs. Especially when they are like me and took the entire decade off and are now going back and filling in a few nice sets or player/team collections.