Skip to main content

Lesson learned

Isn't that a sad sight? There is a big, freakin' crease/wrinkle through the middle of my 2009 UD Spectrum Clayton Kershaw relic card.

The card wasn't like that when I saw it on Wax Heaven's review of this year's Spectrum release (Spectrum is such a hideous-looking product, by the way). When I saw the card featured, I was thrilled. Since I am down as the Kershaw collector in the Wax Heaven directory, I knew I'd be getting the card. Mario is cool like that.

But somewhere along the mailing route, the card was damaged. The SASE that arrived in my mailbox Saturday was not in good shape. It looked like it had been knocked around quite a bit, and a corner of the envelope was bent. Still, I have received card-containing envelopes in worse shape than that and the cards have always been perfect.

In fact, this is my first experience with receiving a card damaged in the mail.

I certainly don't blame Wax Heaven for this. Mario has been nothing but generous with his connections and his time. But I do blame myself. I should have sent something sturdier for Mario to enclose the card in, especially a relic. And when I send the next envelope down to Florida for my Kershaw Topps Heritage chrome card, I will be sending a bubble mailer.

I had skated by for too long without having any cards damaged in the mail. I guess my turn was up. I'm going to try to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for the card anyway, Mario.

Comments

Wax Heaven said…
I have sent many cards in PWE and vice versa and this is the first time it's happened. I think I was due for one.

I have seen collectors buy hundred dollar cards on eBay and get their card in plain white envelopes.

Sorry about your card.
--David said…
Ouch. Well, Tiptons have entered the realm of game-used... Does that make it a game-used Tipton?

Sorry your card got torqued by the usps.
dayf said…
Sorry about the card, the post office just has to eat a package every so often I guess... I sent Steve at White Sox cards some stuff over Christmas in a bubble mailer and most of the cards were dinged by the time it got there. On the bright side, it's a player you like, it's a relic card and about a tenth of them end up with wrinkles or dinks out of the pack anyway, and it's Spectrum so who cares. The crease just adds some character.
Eggrocket said…
Too bad about the card but here's my take:

You collect Kershaw, so you're not going to get rid of it. You don't have to bow to the gem-mint-gods. It's now a card that has a story, and that's worth more than any sort of inflated "book value."

But still, you probably need to switch to bubble mailers :-)
Anonymous said…
Ouch! But on the bright side, you could send it back to UD and possibly get a replacement because it's an 09 card. It's worth a shot for sure!