Skip to main content

Define the design (94T)

In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I thought I would present a card set that features green as one its primary defining points.

I'm not all that fond of the 1994 Topps set's design, and it's particularly because of the green that went with every player's card in the set. It would have been much more attractive if Topps changed the color depending on the team depicted.

But because the set features green on the majority of its cards, we get to play Define the Design again. Here is the deal: I'm looking for a name for this set. The only stipulation is that it features "green" in the name, and that the name sums up the set. The person who comes up with a name that I can feature in the Define the Design segment on the sidebar wins, oh, let's say, all of my Shawn Green doubles. (Get it? Green? St. Paddy's Day?). And I'll throw in some cards of your favorite team. So leave a suggestion in the comments and let's get started! I'll let you know who the winner is in the comments.

In the meantime, I'll present some random green-related images. Sorry for the scatter-shot post, but I'm busy at work, and I've got a blog bat-around topic to ponder.

I'll start with Shawn Green himself. This is a 2000 SP Authentic card, and one of the Green cards you can win if you define the design.

I can't mention St. Patrick's Day without showing Kermit the Frog. Even if he did wallow in self-pity with that "It's Not Easy Being Green" song. Lighten up there, Kermie. Everyone was wearin' of the green today.

Here's Dallas Green, who has a fiery Irish-like temper.

And the Incredible Hulk, who has a temper himself. Don't know if he's Irish. I'm pretty sure Lou Ferrigno wasn't.

Here's Dick Green, one of those players who played for a team that featured a color that was the same as his last name. Like when Vida Blue played for the Royals. Hey, I think that's a post!

Some green eggs and ham, which to me sound about as good as corned beef and cabbage. I'm not Irish, sorry.

And, lastly, Danny Ainge, who not only wore green when he played for the Celtics, after his baseball-playing days were done, but he is now the Celtics' president of basketball operations. And he was born on St. Patrick's Day! He's 50 today.

At least Donruss gave you a green border, Danny.

That's all for now. If you're in the mood for more green baseball cards, check out some 1992 Fleer or 1990 Donruss Rookies, the green Upper Deck Starquest cards, or the green 2008 Topps Heritage cards. And have a green beer or Shamrock shake for me.

Comments

nymetsfan said…
I had no idea Danny Ainge played baseball. Go figure.
MMayes said…
I have a hard time working "green" into the name. The name I've come up with sounds like a subdivision:

Home Plate on the Green.
dayf said…
'94 Topps was instantly and permanently 'the home plate set' from the moment I opened the first pack, so there's no way I can sneak green in there. I thought about pulling a bunch of cards of players named Green(e)for today's post but what I did ended up being a lot easier. I'm very happy to see a card of Dallas today.
Dubbs said…
Green Grass and Lightsaber Plates

Green was tougher than addressing the fact that Vader's lightsaber runs from left to right across the bottom.

And the "picture" area is shaped like homeplate. Couldn't you make this a little easier?

Anways, hopefully someone appreciates the Outlaws reference.
night owl said…
Love the '70s southern rock. So, yeah, I know the reference well.

I'm scrapping this "DTD" for another one later today. This one was too difficult.